Gary Vaynerchuk believes that the story of his success is about to become much more common. Using the 7 principles that transformed him, perhaps his story can become your story.
Step 1, live your passion
To Vaynerchuk, the internet represents the biggest shift in history and how we do business. Why? Because all the advertising dollars in the world are going to the internet, where people are setting up websites and creating content about the things they are passionate about. The opportunities are endless as revenue pours into the internet.
Step 2, creating a personal brand
Building equity in your personal brand is as important as building equity in your company’s brand. People like Oprah, Howard Stern and others have realized the power of this for a long time. One of the keys to build your personal brand online is that you have to be true to yourself. In the old days of media this might have been difficult or even impossible. But with the help of the internet, it has never been easier to stay true to yourself.
Step 3, creating great content
If you’re going to monetize your personal brain into a business using a social marketing network you need great content. One of the most important things you’ll need to study and learn is how to be a great story teller. If you want people coming back again and again, you’ll need to be able to communicate. To do this most effectively, you’ll also need a medium that best suits your style.
Step 4, working your face off
The only way you’re going to be willing to put in the time necessary to get this operation off the ground is loving what you do. That's because you’re going to need to work extremely hard. Vaynerchuk has a simple formula for working online. Spend about 10% of the time creating content that you form a community. Then spend the other 90% interacting with your community.
Step 5, choosing your platform
Vaynerchuk himself is proof that social media platforms bring you amazing business. He spent 7500 dollars on ads for a billboard, direct mail, and radio. In total these channels produced 710 orders for wine. At the same time he tweeted out the same offer and received 1700 orders. If you do it the right way, the internet is definitely the way to go.
Step 6, making money
What you should invest in, is what you want people to do once they hit your site. To ensure your customers do what you want you should invest some time into website interface design and ensure that you have some call to action buttons on your site. There are many different ways you can make money out of your site. It can add revenue, affiliate links to other sites, you can sell a product directly, you can book speaking arrangements, or even get a book deal.
Step 7, keeping it real
Aside from all the advice Vaynerchuk has a couple words of warning as well. First , you need to be patient. If you're slowly but surely gaining subscribers over your first half year, you’re doing well. Second, you need to care about the people who sign up as part of your community. If you’re always looking for that next subscriber and don’t realize how damn lucky you are to have even one person spend part of their life with you, then you’re going to lose. Finally, remember this: chase the money and you won’t find it, chase your passion and you’ll be richer than you ever thought possible.